Whether you have a green thumb or cannot even keep a cactus alive, growing your own weed is fun and relatively easy. All you need is a little bit of preparation and patience. Step one is to order your marijuana seeds from Canada. The next step is to germinate your marijuana seeds, which can be done in either the sunlight or the dark.
Gather your Gear
The first step is to prepare the equipment necessary for this process. You need some supplies for this method, called the paper towel method; however, you might have most of these at home already. We recommend the following gear for germinating your seeds, regardless of doing it in the sun or the dark:
- Distilled water – let your water sit for 24 hours before using it on your seeds. You allow chlorine and other chemicals to evaporate by letting it sit.
- A clean spray bottle
- Two plates
- Paper towel –The cheaper, the better in this case.
- You want the paper-like material, not the thicker cloth-style, as the seeds might get stuck.
- Masking tape and marker — These come in handy if you are germinating multiple strains; this helps to set them apart.
Should you Germinate your Marijuana Seeds Under Lights or in the Dark?
We, as well as most experts, recommend germinating your seeds in the dark. Light may disrupt and even prevent germination. The majority of all seeds require moisture and a lack of sunlight to germinate, and marijuana seeds are no different.
You will maximize your success rate by using this method described below, where the paper towel holds moisture and the two plates will prevent light from reaching the seeds.
The Paper Towel Method
- Make sure that your workspace is clean and dry.
- Fill the bowl with water and let it sit for 24 hours.
- Spray the paper towel with water.
- Grab a plate and place the moistened paper towel on top. Place the marijuana seeds in the middle, evenly spaced out, on top of the paper towel.
- Use the tape and marker to label your seeds if you have a couple of different strains.
- Place another layer of paper towel on top to cover the seeds. Spray it with water just enough to moisten the paper towel, then cover with the other plate.
- Check the paper towel every couple of hours to ensure they are consistently moist.
- Keep the plates in a warm, dark area, ideally between 21 to 29 degrees Celsius.
It is vital only to moisten the paper towel. The temperature is another crucial factor to keep in mind, as too cold or too hot will affect the germination process.
It usually takes 24 to 48 hours for seeds to germinate, however, some may take up to a week.
Get Going and Get Growing
The key to succeeding with germinating marijuana seeds, regardless of whether you do it in the dark or in the sun, is quality seeds. If you want to feel like a gardening king or queen, make sure you order your seeds from a reputable seller in Canada.
Then gather your supplies, read through the instructions one more time, and get started. It requires a bit of patience and time, but the rewards will be worth it—your very own beautiful medical marijuana plants, from seed to flower.